Ir para o conteúdo principal

Can be used as a space heater or decoration.

7 Perguntas Visualizar todos

Heater Cable plug melted

Cable plug melted from electric heater. I already replaced outlet but outlet plastic melted too. Should I replace cable plug and circuit breaker with higher amps to 20amps instead of 15amps?

Respondido! Ver a resposta Também tenho esse problema

Esta é uma boa pergunta?

Pontuação 0
5 comentários

I think this will fix the problem if I replace the cable plug and circuit breaker with higher amps 20 amps, from 15 amps to 20 amps?


@superseed47 You just can't replace one breaker with another due to the existing wiring only being rated for the lower amperage ! The breaker is there not to protect your unit; it's there to protect your house wiring and this in turn prevents any electrical fires caused by overloading the circuit. Replacing the breaker with a higher amperage one is only increasing your chances of starting your home on fire. Fix malfunctioning heater as that is the cause of your problems!


@superseed47 This could be VERY dangerous. Obviously your heater is defective! Get it tested. Do you want to burn your house down?


Thanks for replied. I think I fixed it. I replaced the cable plug asy. and tested it. fixed. It was a loose outlet and old.


I have an electric fireplace that has a plug with two prongs only. I didnt have an outlet in the wall near the fireplace so i used an extension cord that had three prongs. It worked well and I never used the fireplace when I wasnt at work in my shop where the fireplace is just for additional heat. The plugs were hidden behind the fireplace for esthetic reason and eventually the fireplace two prong plug started melting and it had a bad smell. I have just gone home for lunch and left it for an hour. I was glad it didnt burn the building down. So now this plug doesnt look good and it needs replacing. Can we just cut the wires and rewire the new plug ? Do you think that this happened because the plugs and the extension cord both started to heat up being tucked behind the fireplace where the temperature is higher ? Or would it be better if after I replace melted plug to use an extension cord that also has a two prong plug on the other end ?


Adicionar um comentário

3 respostas

Solução escolhida


Hi Louise,

Here is what you must do.

  • Check amperage of heater - look on plate on back of heater and it wil state voltage and amps.
  • Check amp limit of extension chord.
  • Check amps of circuit - look at fuse or circuit breaker for outlet - important to check rating of circuit as some one may have incorrectly used a higher rated fuse/circuit breaker. It is strange that the fuse/breraker didn't trip.

All three MUST match or you could burn your house down.

You know some circuits may just be wired for lamps. So check!!!!

Having done all the above yes you may rewire the plug but make sure you get the polarity correct. There should be a little diagram, etc. with the replacement plug.

Esta resposta foi útil?

Pontuação 2

1 comentário:

No the plug melted because it was a two prong plug that was plugged inti a three hole extension cord, and not directly into a wall outlet. There was no outlet near by so I used the extension cord but the cord is OK it is just a simple two prong plug that got heated up and melted. We are going to put a wall outlet near the fireplace. I was using mostly the burning log feature but not the heat mostly and always stayed in the building. It wasnt my home but my commercial building.


Adicionar um comentário
Pergunta mais útil

Hi @superseed47 ,

You should get the heater tested as it may be drawing too much current from the outlet and this is causing the cable and the outlet cover to melt.

As @vertinhol says, check the model information label on the heater to find out the power specifications for the heater.

If for example it says that the power is 2400 W at 240VAC then this can be adequately and safely provided by the cable and the outlet in most correctly wired homes.

If the cable and outlet have melted it is more likely a problem with the heater.

The heater could become a dangerous fire hazard if you increase the cable rating and the current supply to the heater!

Esta resposta foi útil?

Pontuação 3
Adicionar um comentário

Assuming that your house wiring and breakers are properly installed, you need to check the electric heater nameplate for more information, if you cannot find how many amps it draws then you can calculate it using the power consumption if it is written of course, you can do it easily in this website or send me the values and I’ll do it for you.

I don’t think that you need to replace your cable plug because it is designed to work properly, so what it actually happens is the outlet heated up first then by convection he transferred that heat to the cable which melted, but depending on the damage caused on the cable there is a possibility that you might change it, so can you send me some photos please.

Esta resposta foi útil?

Pontuação 0

1 comentário:

Hello I have a electric fireplace and I had it plugged into a power strip and it burned that up.. Just the one it was plugged into. We moved the fireplace...because We thought maybe it was just too much stuff plugged in at one place.. So we plugged into another socket at another location..and it's only the fireplace and a lil lamp plugged into the outlet .. But something didn't smell right and the wall switch was so hot! The next morning I plugged it in.. Did the same thing and then it just went out and now the outlet won't work at all. You can email me at if you need to.. Thank you!


Adicionar um comentário

Adicionar a sua resposta

RAMON GUIRNALDA será eternamente grato(a).
Exibir estatísticas:

Últimas 24 horas: 3

Últimos 7 dias: 19

Últimos 30 dias: 74

Duração total: 10,185