If there has to be a downside, it's the ink cartridge prices and use of a tri-color Color cartridge. While this isn't a majpr issue for most 842c owners, it is something that has been established to make consumables more expensive then they need to be. This is something to consider when picking this printer. However, thanks to age this printer has a abundance of non HP ink options so you can get the cartridges for a good price if you have concerns about the high cost of OEM ink for this printer. This printer uses the HP 15/17 cartridge combination.
- Black text EconoFast: 8 ppm Normal: 4.6 ppm Best: 4 ppm
- Mixed text/color graphics EconoFast: 5 ppm Normal: 3.1 ppm Best: 0.8 ppm
- 4 x 6-in. color photo Normal: 0.5 ppm Best: 0.25 ppm'''
- Full-page color EconoFast: 1.4 ppm Normal: 0.5 ppm Best: 0.2 ppm'''
- Vertical alignment: +/- 0.002"
- Paper: plain, inkjet, photo, glossy; U.S. letter 8.5 x 11 in.; legal 8.5 x 14 in.; executive 7.25 x 10.5 in
- Banner: U.S. letter 8.5 x 11 in.
- Envelopes: U.S. No. 10 4.125 x 9.5 in.; A2 Invitation 4.375 x 5.75 in.
- Transparencies: U.S. letter 8.5 x 11 in.
- Labels: U.S. letter 8.5 x 11 in.
- Index cards: 3 x 5 in.; 4 x 6 in.; 5 x 8 in.
- Custom size: width 3 to 8.5 in.; length 3 to 14 in.
* Paper: 16 to 110 lb
- Banner paper: 20 lb
- Envelopes: 20 to 24 lb
- Cards: 110 lb index maximum; 0.012 in. maximum thickness
- Sheets: up to 100
- Banners: up to 20 sheets
- Envelopes: up to 15
- Cards: up to 30
- Transparencies: up to 25
- Labels: up to 20 sheets (use only U.S. letter-size sheets)
Out-tray capacity: up to 50 sheets
- IEEE 1284 Centronics
- MS-DOS 3.3 and above
- Windows 3.x
- Windows 9x
- Windows 2000
- Windows NT 4.0
- Mac OS 8.1 or above
This printer is known to work with Windows 7, 8.x and Windows 10.
- HP 15 Black (500 pages)
- HP 17 Color (480 pages)
If you cannot find OEM ink, remanufactured ink and compatible ink cartridges are very widely founf and are more common then OEM HP ink. You will have an easier time finding non HP ink for this printer.
NOTE: This will vary based on your use style and was based on proprietary methods. This information is very likely to be off based on your printing style.'''