@bejm1 see if this helps
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
(1) The floor shifter lever and gate positions should be in alignment with all transmission PARK, NEUTRAL, and gear detent positions.
(2) Engine starts must be possible with floor shift lever in PARK or NEUTRAL gate positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any other gear position.
(3) With floor shift lever handle push-button not depressed and lever in:
(a) PARK position - Apply forward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
(b) PARK position - Apply rearward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
(c) NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.
(d) NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply forward force on center of shift handle. Transmission shall not be able to shift from NEUTRAL to REVERSE.
(1) Shift transmission into PARK.
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Remove the shift cable eyelet from the transmission manual shift lever (Fig. 159).
(4) Remove shift cable from the cable support bracket.
(5) Lower vehicle.
(6) Remove necessary console parts for access to shift lever assembly and shift cable. (Refer to 23 -
BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL)
(7) Disconnect cable at shift lever and shifter assembly bracket (Fig. 160).
(8) Remove the nuts holding the shift cable seal plate to the floor pan (Fig. 161).
(9) Pull cable through floor panel opening.
(10) Remove shift cable from vehicle.