Can USB-C issues be caused by low battery capacity?
Recently out of nowhere my MBP 13” (function keys, 2017, no Apple Care, out of warranty) started acting out in the following combination of ways.
THE LIST OF ISSUES:
- Both ports stopped recognizing external display using the usb-c to hdmi adapter I used reliably a while before
- Around the same time my battery started reporting “Service Battery“ state
- The USB-C port closest to user (front) is only taking ~5V when charging, while the other USB-C port (back) is charging at ~19V (I have current measuring USB-C device)
- If I want to use external SSD for backup/data transfer it works on both ports but sometimes I need to plug the other port for charging for device to be recognized
- Up until recently, I also noticed that sometimes MBP would shut down when I would close the laptop instead of going to sleep (though after resetting SMC/NVRAM I never experienced this again)
WHAT I TRIED:
- resetting SMC/NVRAM
- updating system to the latest MacOS version
- running diagnostics (only service battery was reported, which later on disappeared)
- plugging/unplugging cords in different combinations
- using different usb-c hub with direct power-in that used to work before as well
Here is the charging report from CoconutBattery
For back USB-C port:
For front USB-C port:
Is there any chance this issue will be resolved (especially the one about recognizing external display) if I would just replace MBP battery?
Or is this almost definitely characteristic of logic board issue?
I was thinking about taking up a task of buying a replacement kit and replacing the battery myself while in self-isolation due to pandemic, but would not attempt replacing logic board myself.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Esta pergunta é pertinente?
Let's check the battery & charging logic. Install this gem of an app CoconutBattery. Post a snapshot of the apps main window for us to see with the charger in each port. Adicionar imagens a uma pergunta já existente
@danj Thank you for the suggestion. I just updated the initial question with the screenshots from CoconutBattery.
Georgiy I have the same make and issue, did you found a solution?
por Miguel de la Garza
Same here. Any suggestion ?
por Frodon Baggins