first of all, if you are currently under warranty then stop fixing and start sending!!!
first get an external hard drive if you value any of your data!!! because the following will/can cause loss of game data/pics /music/vids. I recommend backing up your hard drive if at all possible through alternate source.
Turn off the PS3. Locate the PS3’s power button at the front of the unit. Touch and hold the power button until the power light becomes red.
Reset the PS3. Touch and hold the power button. The unit will power on and you will hear a beep. Continue to hold the power button and you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset. Keep holding the power button down until you hear a third beep. The console will power off afterwards.
Activate the "Safe Mode" feature. Touch and hold the power button. Again, the unit will power on and you will hear a beep. Continue to hold the power button and again, you will hear a second beep for the video reset. Continue to hold the power button until you hear a quick double beep. Release the power button.
Using "Safe Mode." If you are successful in activating "Safe Mode," you will see the following message on screen: “Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button.” Follow the instructions on screen in order to enter "Safe Mode."
1. Restart System:
Ends safe mode and starts up the system normally.
2. Restore Default Settings=
Performs operations for [Restore Default Settings] on the PS3 Home Menu, and also deletes PlayStation®Network account information from the system.
- [User] information is deleted temporarily and then restored. An asterisk (*) is appended in front of the restored User name.
If you sign in to PlayStation®Network after performing [Restore Default Settings], purchased games can be played without any additional operations.
Note that for downloaded (purchased) games, if you turn off the system before you sign in, the following error message will be displayed when the game is started, even if you turn on the system again and sign in:
To access this content, you must activate the system.
Go to [PlayStation®Network] > [Account Management] to activate this system. (80029514)
To access the content, go to [Account Management] to activate the system.
(Even if [This system is activated] is displayed, deactivate it and then activate it again.)
3. Restore File System=Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it cannot be recovered. (I recommend this 1st)
4. Rebuild Database=Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information. (I recommend this 2nd)
- This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
5. Restore PS3 System=This corresponds to [Restore PS3 System] operation on the PS3 Home Menu (quick format). I recommend this as a last resort, this will make your ps3ss brand new per say, like it came out of the box, but I strongly recommend trying 3 and 4 first!!
6. System Update=Updates the PS3 system software (can only be done from storage media).
if you cant get into the safe mode, then might as well buy a new one because you will need another hdd!
Hope this helps, it has helped me fix several ps3's with similar problems.