While I successfully replaced the battery I found that removing the original battery was tougher than removing the digitizer. I had to use more force to cut through the adhesive. Pay attention at this stage as you could easily damage the motherboard or surrounding cables.
At the assembly stage I found it is easier to use Philips PH000 screw driver bit than PH00. It helped me to get these minuscule screws in place, catch the head holes and drive them into their tight position. While using PH00 the driver would not catch the holes in their head and I was risking scratching the display since the screws refused to settle in the openings.
I replaced successfully the battery. At the assembling stage I did not tighten the screw which holds both motherboard and the battery connector. This resulted in the black screen. I reattached again all the cables and the screws holding the motherboard and the screen came back to life.