Hello Liam Kalerantes! I have a couple of solutions that might work for you. I would recommend trying them in the order that they are listed in. After each step, check to see if your laptop’s speakers are working again.
- Check to see if your laptop’s volume is turned up. If you have volume keys on your keyboard, try using them.
- Perform a system restart. Click the Windows icon, click the power icon, and chose restart. Give your computer one to two minutes before logging back into Windows.
- Check for Windows updates. Click the Windows icon, click the settings cog, scroll down and chose “Windows Update and Security”. Let the system check for all available updates. Repeat this process until all available Windows updates are installed completely.
- Check your device’s recognized hardware components. Type “device manager” into the search bar of your Windows operating system. Check and expand all of the categories of the list and look for anything resembling speakers or a sound device. They are usually listed under “Audio inputs and outputs”. If you have found the speakers in the list, continue with this step. If you haven’t found the speakers in the list and see devices listed as “Unknown device”, skip to the next step. Right click on the speakers you have found in the list. Click on “Update driver”. If this still did not resolve your problem, right click on the speakers in the list and then click on “Uninstall device”. Your laptop will restart and reinstall a new device driver for the selected speakers in the device list.
- Install drivers for the unrecognized hardware components. If you have been unsuccessful in all of the previous attempts or found devices that were listed as “Unknown device” in your laptop’s devices list, you may need to install the drivers for your laptop’s speakers manually. Here is the drivers list for your particular laptop: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/FX505GT... Select your operating system and then scroll down to the audio portion of the drivers download page. Download the audio drivers for your laptop. Run the installer, and go through the on screen install process.
If you followed all of these steps correctly, you should have been able to get your laptop’s built in speakers working again. If you were unable to do so or something went wrong, leave a comment down below. You could also check to see if your headphone jack on your laptop is working properly. If your laptop’s speakers are still not functioning, it is most likely due to something wrong with the actual hardware. This can range from simply plugging a loose cable back in, or to something more difficult like replacing the motherboard of your laptop. I hope I have been able to help resolve your problem. Thank you for using iFixit! Have a wonderful rest of your week!