MacBook Pro 15'' late 2013 really hot at normal usage
my machine: rMBP 15'' late 2013 (2,6 i7; 16GB Ram; Geforce 750M 2GB, 500GB SSD) with macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (clean install)
The main problem:
The fan goes nuts without any obvious reason (at least to me) just when I plug in an external display. This wasn't the case a year ago, but gradually became worse over the time. My setup and usage hasn't changed, though. I'm a webdeveloper and use the following applications on a daily basis:
Safari, Chrome, Mail, Evernote, Slack, Trello, Mamp Pro, Sublime Text 3, Dash, CodeKit – Dropbox, BetterTouchTool, Bartender 3, Alfred 3
For a couple of years now the system get's annoyingly hot. And when with a second screen (full hd) the fan kicks in, although the CPU activity is lower than 15%
Some more background:
- On average the machine goes 7-9 hours a day for the last 5 years.
- Roughly half a year ago I made a clean install of High Sierra
- I regularly open the back and clean out the dust with a lil camera air blower
- 450gig of the 500gig HD is full (but he didn't care about that for years..)
- About 2 years ago I made a PRAM reset
Wild guesses on what's causing the heat-issue:
- Broken battery?
- Processor heat conductive paste worn off?
- operating system sucks up more performance? (please nooh..)
- SSD drive worn out?
I don't want to try every trick I find on the web, I rather get advice from you guys for my specific situation.
1) Is it worth letting a diagnostic tool run over the Mac to see if the hardware is okay?
2) Could the hardware just be worn out like this?
3) How would you suggest I proceed in order to reduce the heat (remember.. the CPU activity is low when the machine is hot)
Looking at the touch bar, butterfly keys and immense raise in price, I find these new MacBooks really unattractive. But leaving macOS is not an option for me, and a Hackintosh Laptop is just too unsafe.
I hope to use this beauty of a laptop for at least 2 more years.
Thank you very much,
EDIT: Here is the coconutbattery
Here is the DriveDX Report
EDIT2: Here the TG Pro screenshot
As you asked: I added a screenshot from TG Pro; to me the temperature doens't look so high. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Why are there 2SSDs? One A, one B?) – I now have 80gigs free space (424/500) and still the machine is hot, fan is active and the overall performance doesn't feel as responsive and smooth–
I am making a rough spring cleaning right now, although it's not so easy, because I'm pretty organized already; I don't like my current external drive solution (normal SATA3 hdds with an usb docking station) but will make room for at least 125gigs of free space.
I will see how it performs then; but are you still positive that a new SSD is the solution to the problem? I just don't see why else hardware should degrade to this point; .. or is it really the software that became this much more demanding over the years? .. but then again: my cpu isn't really working, neither is the GPU.. , I guess? So why the !&&* is it getting so hot :D
Esta pergunta é pertinente?