Keyboard or Logic Board or Something Else?
My son's MacBook Air started acting funny and then died completely. Apple store verified that the liquid sensors were activated, even though my son swears he did not spill anything into the MBA. I removed the bottom plate, and there does not seem to be any visible spill residue. I have not done a complete teardown.
- pressing power button does nothing
- when connecting magsafe - led on magsafe connector starts green, then after a few seconds goes amber. If I leave it connected for a few days, it DOES NOT go green again
- reset of smc toggles magsafe led to green - then it reverts to amber
- system can boot if I bypass the SMC as follows:
- disconnect battery connector
- hold down power button
- connect magsafe
- release power button
When I boot by bypassing the SMC, the keyboard and trackpad do not work, but a USB keyboard and mouse do work. The system boots to OSX, display looks normal, and i can access the network - everything works. If I select "restart", system will reboot as expected.
What should I check next or replace? If the SMC reset using keys on the keyboard does toggle the magsafe led, then some of the keys must be working - so the keyboard must not be completely dead. Is there any way to debug further?
Thanks for any insight.